Friday 24 May 2019

AN ADDRESS PRESENTED BY DR. [CHIEF] UZO’ ADIRIEJE, MNIM, ACIPM (Ahaejiejemba of Amaruru) – 5TH PRESIDENT GENERAL, IMO STATE TOWNS DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATION LAGOS (ISTDAL); DURING THE SWEARING-IN OF ISTDAL’S 6TH PRESIDENT GENERAL AND EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE ON 27 JANUARY 2008


ISTDAL FLASHBACK 2005-2007
AN ADDRESS PRESENTED BY DR. [CHIEF] UZO’ ADIRIEJE, MNIM, ACIPM (Ahaejiejemba of Amaruru) – 5TH PRESIDENT GENERAL, IMO STATE TOWNS DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATION LAGOS (ISTDAL); DURING THE SWEARING-IN OF ISTDAL’S 6TH PRESIDENT GENERAL AND EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE ON 27 JANUARY 2008
[Protocols]
WELCOME
I am immensely delighted to welcome and address you all at this historic occasion. And it is in that light that I congratulate our brand new President General Mazi Tony Ohakwe and his rejuvenated Executive Committee members, about 90 percent of who also served with me – and indeed virtually ran the Association during my tenure.
HOW IT ALL BEGAN
I became a representative of Amaruru Development Union in ISTDAL in May 1996. My tenure as ISTDAL President General officially ended today, 27 January; and I recall that my tenure as Secretary General of ISDTAL also ended on 27 January (2002).
Three years ago this Sunday, I was inducted as the leader of this great Association, along with my Executive members. On that day, our administration gallantly embraced all the assets and liabilities of our predecessor since governance is a continuous exercise, and undertook to harness all the human and material resources possibly available, to provide a compass of development for our members and the large population of Imo people in Lagos and Diaspora. We chose not to cry over any spilt milk, but to focus/concentrate on whatever we could do to improve on what we met on the ground and it paid off.
ON THE MARBLE AND SANDS OF TIME
The following itemize some of our accomplishments within our 3-years tenure:
1. Developed Vision, Mission Statement and core Values for the Association
2. Paid all the debts inherited from our predecessor
3. Awarded the Association’s scholarships to indigenes of Imo State in secondary and tertiary institutions, for the first time in our history (2005 and 2007)
4. Secured financial/material support and empowerment to seventy-two [72] ‘poorest of the poor’ women of Imo state origin, through the provision of sewing machines, grinding machines, clothes, coolers, cash and other valuable household goods that enabled them to start petty businesses of their own, and became job givers instead of job seekers (2005). We acknowledge the support received from Eze Hyacinth Ohazulike, OON, Eze Ndigbo of Lagos State in this regard.
5. Elected Trustees and formally incorporated ISTDAL as a legal entity in perpetuity in the Federal Republic of Nigeria. We are currently awaiting our certificate of incorporation from the Corporate Affairs Commission, Abuja (2006-2007)
6. Established the Istda Cooperative, Thrift & Credit Society Ltd which has been registered by the Lagos State Government, and was formally inaugurated by the last Executive Governor of Lagos State, His Excellency Senator Bola Tinubu. ‘Istda Coop’ currently has fifty-two registered members comprising individuals and town unions (2006)
7. Secured more than one dozen luxurious buses from the Imo State government, to convey ISTDAL members and Imo people in Lagos, to and from Imo state during the 2007 Christmas and new year celebrations
8. Produced a six-page spiral-bound all colour calendar (2007)
9. Organised three cultural carnivals/Imo day (2005, 2006 and 2007); the last of which was used to organize a befitting grand civic reception for the Governor of Imo State, His Excellency Chief Ikedi Ohakim (Ochinanwata)
10. Organized a press conference in Owerri, on ‘Progress Report and State of Affairs’ in Imo State (2007)
11. Improved the Association’s relationship with the governments of Imo state, and supported the government’s participation in major activities in Lagos including the international trade fairs
12. Sponsored some members of the Executive Committee to a leadership training/capacity building programme in Otta (2006)
13. Set up a committee to review our constitution which report has been received and is handed over to the new administration for subsequent discussions before adoption by the general meeting
14. Provided a crisis-free environment for the conduct of the Association’s meetings and other activities all years-round
15. Organized joint meetings with our Grand Patrons, Patrons and leaders of member-town Unions
16. Produced annual reports of the Association’s activities (2005 and 2006) for the first time in its history. The 2007 annual report is already being concluded
17. Produced annual financial statements of the Association’s (2005 and 2006) for the first time in its history. The 2007 financial statement is already being prepared
18. Participated in the activities of other Igbo groups in Lagos
19. Set up an audit committee whose report is still being expected
20. Conducted what is arguably the most peaceful election in the history of ISTDAL, where all the candidates emerged by consensus without a single voting done
21. Published ISTDAL’s magazine, the Searchlight
Your Excellency, today also marks the end of the transition period which commenced with the election of a new Executive Committee in September 2007.
YOU MADE IT POSSIBLE
As I step out and march forward/ahead, I must not fail to acknowledge and thank some of the persons and institutions who have contributed in the form of support, encouragement, criticisms and or even outright opposition, which have all made it possible for us to accomplish the above under my leadership. Indeed, when harnessed well, the opposition is one of the greatest assets a leader may have. It is in the opposition that great leaders find growth, while their comfort lies in their supporters.
‘Gidi gidi bu ugwu Eze’, so says the Igbo adage. Grant me your indulgence to convey my appreciations and that of my family and friends and well-wishers, to some of the persons and institutions – in no particular order - who contributed to the successes recorded in the course of my tenure.
I am grateful to my Governor, His Excellency Chief Sir Ikedi Ohakim (Ochinanwata) and Her Excellency Chief Mrs. Ohakim, for all the kindness they showed and good things they did for this Association, and the greater things they continue to do in Imo State; to His Excellency Chief Achike Udenwa (Onwa), who most kindly inaugurated me as leader of this Association on 23 January 2005. I am immensely encouraged by the support received from my ‘Big brother’ and Governor’s Special Adviser and Liaison Officer, High Chief Bonny Ebili (Odokara omee) – the one who made things to happen – for being a pillar of support and our strongest bridge to Government House and our governor’s heart. I appreciate his predecessors – Sir George Egu, Mr. Alfred Uzoaru and Mr. Charles Osigwelem, and other members of the Lagos liaison office. I appreciate the immense supporting team that High Chief Ebili recruited for me in the governor’s office and Abuja. In particular, may I request you sir, to convey my appreciation to Chief Elvis Agukwe, Governor’s Special Adviser/liaison officer Abuja, Chief Ethelbert Okere, Executive Assistant to the Governor on Public Affairs, Louisa Aguiyi-Ironsi, Special Adviser on Communications and Barrister A.C. Otuokere, Director of protocols, for their help and considerations. I thank my predecessors in office – Chief Barrister L.C. Anucha (Akuruo Ulo 1 of Uvuru) and Chief Barrister George Nnamdi Umunnakwe for their contributions to the growth of this Association and in particular for their contributions to the successes recorded during my tenure.
Thank you very much, members of the ISTDAL Executive Committee who always held forth, officers of our women wing, representatives of member-Town Unions, our Life Patrons, Grand Patrons and Patrons; and Chairmen and Secretaries of the member-Town Unions, including their women wings. Permit me to single out for appreciation, the tremendous support received from Grand Patrons Eze Hyacinth Ohazurike, OON, Eze Mkpume, Eze Ndigbo of Lagos State; Chief (Dr.) M.I. Okoro (Ohia Ndigbo), Chief A.E. Anozie (Oduenyi of Imenyi) and Chief Dr. Sam Opara.
‘Oku ahunyere nwata n’aka a naghi eregbu ya’. I am very thankful to the leadership of my local government Orsu and community Amaruru for standing solidly by me during my tenure: the former Chairman of Orsu LGA Chief Charles Okeke (Odiukonamba) who sent a representative during my inauguration, my traditional ruler His Royal Highness Eze W.O. Igwe, Ozuo omee I of Amaruru, President General of Amaruru Development Union Chief Okpara D. Okpara (Omereoha) and members of the Amaruru Council of Chiefs and Ndi Ichie, for the chieftaincy title conferred on me; for traversing the length of the East and West of this country to witness my inauguration, and for blessing me, in 2005.
But could this have been possible without a Lagos base? Not at all! Which is why I am grateful to the Chairman of Amaruru Development Union (ADU) Lagos Branch - Mr. Vincent Dimanozie and his executive members; former Chairmen of the branch including Chief Ezeifeadigo F.E. Ezeh who sent me to ISTDAL, late Nze Jason Okpara and Mr. Okechukwu Ogbuehi, and indeed all Amaruru sons and daughters and friends, for taking pride in my responsibilities and accomplishments. I am indebted to my friend and brother, Honourable Chief Dr. Geff Chizee Ojinika (Emezioha) - former member of the Federal House of Representatives and his amiable wife Chief Mrs. Comfort Ojinika for their incredible support during this period.
Oh! I am forever thankful to God for his grace during this period and always, for my wife and best friend Chief Mrs. Edith UzoAdirieje (Eziadaukwu) and our children, and for all the resources, strength and spirit which enabled them to cope with the lonesomeness that the exigencies of my service period brought upon them. My darling wife and jewel of inestimable value, I thank and love you.
Your Excellencies, ladies and gentlemen, ndibe anyi si na onye amaghi ebe mmiri bidoro maa ya, a naghi ama ebe okwusiri a. One great man ‘brought’ me to Lagos in 1990, and encouraged me to enroll and participate in my town union, from whence I was sent to ISTDAL. His name is Chief Eddor E.C. Dimanozie (Onyechimere eze). Unfortunately, he did not live to see me become the leader of this Association. I want to continue to thank and appreciate him. In his honour, my wife and I have instituted an annual award in ISTDAL - the Chief Eddor E.C. Dimanozie prize for the Best Overall Performing Town Union in ISTDAL, at a value of N20, 000.00 (Twenty Thousand naira only) yearly. This award shall be presented during every Imo Carnival and it is my wish that the ceremony brochures will reflect it accordingly. Mr. President General Sir, here is a first cheque for N60, 000.00 (sixty thousand naira only) to cover this award during your first tenure/three years in office. You are at liberty to set out any modalities for choosing the winner(s).
FOR THOSE WHO HAVE GONE
Across the length and breath of this country, we lost some of our representatives, patrons, town union leaders, relations, friends and statesmen during this period. In their honour, may I request you to observe a minute silence…. May their souls rest in perfect peace! Amen.
Long live ISTDAL
Long live Imo State
Long live Federal Republic of Nigeria
Thank you and God bless you all. Good bye!
Uzo’ Adirieje
President General, 23 Jan. 2005 – 27 Jan 2008
1st Vice President, 27 Jan. 2002 – 23 Jan. 2005
Secretary General, Jan. 1999 – 27 Jan. 2002
Mob: 0803 472 5905
Email: ahaejiejemba_amaruru@yahoo.com
Blog: http://uzodinma-adirieje.blogspot.com/
Mails: P.O. Box 8880, Wuse Abuja (from 1 February 2008)



No comments:

Post a Comment